Among the many fans of compression sportswear and clothing, elite athletes top the list. The popularity of compression sleeves received a major boost when Allen Iverson used one in 2001. The sleeve was created by the NBA star’s doctor, to provide relief from bursitis and swelling in the elbow.
After Iverson scored 51 points in that game, compression sleeves became the next big thing for other players as well. Today, pro basketball players like LeBron James swear by compression gear, as do runners like London Marathon record holder Paula Radcliffe and 2012 Olympics 800m finalist Andrew Osagie.
Why Do Elite Athletes Use Compression Garments?
Compression clothing is believed to offer many health benefits for those involved in active sports. It’s equally popular among professional athletes and amateur sports enthusiasts, because of the boost it provides to performance, endurance and recovery.
Graduated compression applies different levels of pressure to your legs, arms, torso or other parts of the body. This helps to improve blood circulation, venous return and muscle oxygenation in that specific area. For an athlete, this means reduced joint/muscle pain, soreness, and stiffness after a game or training session.
So, Why the Fuss Over Copper-Infused Compression Clothing?
The use of copper-infused materials in compression garments takes the benefits to another level. Here’s an overview of how it helps when you’re playing sports, working out or leading an active lifestyle:
- Athlete’s Foot – Bacterial and fungal infections thrive in warm and humid environments, which is what sweaty feet provide them. Copper has powerful anti-microbial properties, which helps to keep Athlete’s Foot and other infections at bay.
- Body Odour – Since copper kills bacteria, fungi, and viruses upon contact, it prevents these microbes from feeding on your sweat and emitting nasty odours. It’s the most natural way to stay fresh, even if you’ve been sweating for hours!
- Heat Regulation – When it comes to thermal regulation, copper is more effective than silver or other traditional materials. Copper compression socks and sleeves boost circulation and keep your hands and feet warm in any weather.
- Faster Recovery – Compression socks and leggings can help stabilize your lower leg after an injury, allowing you to recover faster. Copper-infused socks also fight inflammation and infection to make the healing process even faster.
- Better Performance – Graduated compression improves blood flow, which can have a positive effect on your stamina and endurance. Copper-infused compression socks also reduce vibrations in the lower leg, preventing tired/heavy feet.
- Less Swelling – Heavy-impact sports and workouts can lead to swollen ankles or feet, especially if you’re dehydrated. Copper compression socks prevent this from happening, and can also reduce any swelling you already have.
- Moisture Wicking – Staying dry and comfortable is crucial during sports, especially to prevent chafing and irritation. Copper-embedded compression garments wick moisture away, and allow complete mobility no matter how long you wear them.
The pros know what they’re doing. If you want to experience what they do, check out