How Does Compression Socks Help With Plantar Fasciitis?
November 19 2021
Stay up to date on Copper Product releases & deals.
Subscribe to Our Monthly Newsletter for Deals on Product Delivered to Your Inbox!
Plantar Fascia is a significant component of the foot that is critical for you to walk correctly. It is a thin ligament that connects the heel to the front of the foot. Plantar fasciitis is inflammation or irritation of plantar fascia. It is a common foot injury that leads to pain in the foot and difficulty in walking. You can wear compression socks for plantar fasciitis and also keep a check on its risk factors and symptoms. Read on to know more.
Risk Factors/Causes of Plantar Fasciitis
Major risk factors and potential causes of plantar fasciitis are as follows:-
- Ageing: Older people are more prone to get plantar fasciitis due to the degeneration of the plantar facia with age.
- Obesity: If your bodyweight is heavier than normal, it increases the pressure on your heel and plantar facia, resulting in plantar fasciitis. The risk level rises in case of sudden weight gain.
- Physical Activity: The wear and tear of plantar facia will automatically increase if you are often physically active or indulge in athletic sports.
- Occupation: The jobs that require you to walk or stand for a long time put you at risk of plantar fasciitis. For instance, a retail store employee, nurse, or a waiter.
- Pregnancy: Pregnant women can develop plantar fasciitis in the third trimester due to increased weight.
- Foot structure: Abnormality in foot structure such as tight Achilles tendon, high arches, or flat feet also causes plantar fasciitis.
Symptoms of Plantar Fasciitis
The most prominent symptom of plantar fasciitis is a pain in the heels or the arches of your feet. Usually, this pain is most severe in the mornings. You can also feel a sharp pain when you stand up or walk after a long time of resting or sitting. This pain can worsen if you stand and lift any weight for a long time. You are also likely to feel tightening in the Achilles tendon.
Compression Socks for Plantar Fasciitis
Many people doubt that do compression socks really help plantar fasciitis. Although plantar compression socks are not a part of curative treatment, they help in healing the discomfort and pain in the following ways:-
- Corrects Your Alignment
Compression socks are considered good for plantar fasciitis as they reduce the mobility of your feet by providing support to arches and ankles. Thus your alignment gets improved, and feet tissues don’t get stressed. They also help in preventing injuries due to exercising in bad posture.
- Controls Inflammation & Muscle Damage
Compression socks can help in reducing the inflammation due to plantar fasciitis. They do pain management and control muscle damage which is crucial for the treatment of plantar fasciitis. Compression socks also prevent you from oxidative stress.
- Facilitates Healing Process
Your doctor will prescribe rest to recover. Plantar fasciitis compression socks work to improve blood circulation in your resting time. This expedites the natural healing process of your body.
Graduated Compression Socks vs. Plantar Fasciitis Compression Socks
Regular or graduate compression socks are designed to treat circulatory issues like varicose veins and swelling. The compression in these socks is tightest at the ankle and loose at the top of the socks. This is not the ideal type of compression for plantar fasciitis.
On the contrary, compression socks for plantar fasciitis come with a compressive sleeve around the arch of your foot. This sleeve supports the arch of your feet by putting the right amount of pressure.
Copper Compression Socks for Plantar Fasciitis
Along with all these benefits of plantar fasciitis socks, you can get the following additional benefits of copper by opting for copper-infused compression socks:-
- Copper compression socks come with anti-microbial, anti-odour, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Copper ensures firm, soft, and healthy skin
- Copper compression socks further improve your blood circulation.
- Copper manage the moisture of your feet by keeping them dry
- Copper compression socks are durable & long-lasting.
- Copper enhances the thermal regulation of your feet.
- Copper compression socks are usually made from all-natural and chemical-free material.
Click here to find out how much compression do you need according to your health condition and measurement.
Some Common Doubts Regarding Compression Socks for Plantar Fasciitis
- Can I Wear Plantar Fasciitis Socks to Bed at Night?
Yes, you should wear these socks to bed. The pain of plantar fasciitis is worse when you take the first few steps in the morning. Compression socks help reduce that pain by providing mild arch support and compression.
- Is it Fine to Wear Compression Socks with Custom Orthotics?
There is no harm in wearing compression socks with custom orthotics as long as you feel comfortable. But it would be best to ask your doctor before wearing them together to make sure they are not conflicting with each other’s healing effect.Click here to buy natural, environment-friendly, safe, and anti-microbial copper compression socks from Copper Clothing.