Ultimate Guide to Copper Compression Socks
Are you hearing the words “copper compression socks” being flung around in health and wellness settings, but aren’t quite sure what they are? Or, what the fuss is about? Here’s everything you ever needed or wanted to know about them!
Essentially, copper compression socks combine the advantages of your normal everyday socks, add on the extra benefits of regular compression socks, and then top off the mix with the antimicrobial and healing effects of copper. They look and feel a lot like standard compression socks, except that they are made with copper infused fabric.
How is the copper fabric made? Through the magic of modern technology, copper ions are embedded into the yarn of the sock on a molecular level, which means that they will last the lifetime of the garment.
These processes turn regular clothing material into natural, non-chemical, long-lasting germ fighters, protecting your skin from a host of infections and diseases. Since feet are particularly at risk of exposure through contact with dirty or contaminated surfaces, copper compression socks help to keep them safe in practically any situation.
Before we can even think about tackling the benefits of certain socks, it’s important to identify the significance of why we wear socks!
The Foundation: Foot Facts
The average person with an average stride who lives till 80 will walk in excess of 110,000 miles in their lifetime. This makes your feet one of the most neglected but hard-working parts of your body!
There are 26 bones, 33 joints, 107 ligaments, 19 muscles, and tendons, as well as 250,000 sweat glands in the human foot. Feet have more sensory nerve endings and sweat glands per square centimeter than any other part of the body and produce up to a half-pint or 1 cup of sweat daily.
In a Survey Carried Out by the College of Podiatry:
- 1 in 5 women are embarrassed about their feet.
- 90% of women have suffered foot related problems in their lifetime.
- These range from cracked heels, blisters, and foul foot odour to even damage caused by the choice of shoes and heels.
So What Can You Do to Protect this Vital Limb?Feet are often seen as being at greater risk of problems, right from skin hardening through to bad odours and exposure to infections.
It’s Simple: Socks!
Feet are often seen at greater risk of problems, right from skin hardening through to bad odours and exposure to infections. This is because they are in constant use, creating the ideal conditions of moisture and humidity for problems to occur. Throughout history, socks have played a pivotal role in protecting our feet, providing warmth and comfort and even being used to mask embarrassing foot problems and foul odours.
The element of compression therapy being combined with stockings was discovered at the end of the 19th century by German phlebologists. They found that the application of external pressure helped treat blood clots in the lower extremities, leading to compression stockings being used for the treatment of Deep Vein Thrombosis.
Today, compression socks are widely used across the world, helping everyone from travellers on long flights, to athletes and most critically, people suffering from Venous & Lymphatic diseases.
What are the Benefits of Compression Socks?
Compression Socks 101: Supercharge Your Circulation
Compression wear has traditionally been popular for those with medical problems, the elderly and professional athletes, primarily because it helps to enhance blood circulation of oxygenated blood into your feet and increase the flow of deoxygenated blood up and out of the leg.
These socks are typically designed with graduated compression along their length, strongest at the ankle and gradually looser towards the top of the sock. This design applies varying degrees of pressure to boost circulation in the lower legs, instead of just being “tight” and cutting off the blood flow. With All These Immediate Benefits, Why Do I Need Copper?
Here’s what compression stockings and socks can do for you:
- Revive tired feet and legs
- Relieve aches and pains
- Promote easier movement
- Prevent blood clots in lower legs
- Prevent fluid build up
- Boost muscle strength and performance
- Improve post-exercise recovery
- Reduce muscle strain or stiffness
With all of these immediate benefits, why do I need copper?
Nature’s Best Kept Secret: The Power of Copper
Copper is most commonly known for being an excellent conductor of heat and electricity that’s 100% recyclable, making it a perfect building material for electrical wiring, roofing and plumbing. But did you know that copper is also one of the essential trace elements vital to the health of all living things (humans, plants, animals and aerobic microorganisms)!
This natural micronutrient is essential to the growth and proper functioning of our organs, in addition to metabolic processes such as the formation of red blood cells. Most importantly, copper is widely used as a safe, natural, sustainable, chemical free, non-poisonous, non-drug, and non-invasive anti-microbial.
There is extensive research now highlighting the efficacy of copper at destroying bacteria, fungi, and viruses on contact. Copper has been shown to destroy anti-microbial resistant bugs, such as MRSA, which are anticipated to kill more people than Cancer by 2050. Copper’s anti-microbial and micronutrient properties provide a host of benefits which are now being integrated into everyday materials.
Here’s a List of 6 of the Most Resilient Pathogens that Copper can Destroy on Contact:
- Staphylococcus aureus (Staph)
- Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)
- Vancomycin-Resistant Enterococcus faecalis (VRE)
- Escherichia coli O157: H7 (E. coli)
- Enterobacter aerogenes
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa
Can you ever have too much copper?
The human body has complex homeostatic mechanisms which attempt to ensure a constant supply of available copper, while eliminating excess copper whenever this occurs.
What about Wilson’s Disease?
Wilson’s disease is a rare genetic disorder that affects approximately 1 in 30,000 people globally, causing excessive copper accumulation in the liver or brain. If you have been diagnosed with the disease, we recommend you consult your doctor before using any copper-infused products.
The Ultimate Guide to Copper Compression Socks
So What Happens When You Combine Copper with Compression Socks? You get 11 Benefits for Healthier, Softer & Fresher Feet!
Copper compression socks provide the luxury and comfort of normal everyday socks, sturdiness and support of compression socks, and most importantly, copper ions impregnated on a molecular level into the yarn of the sock. These provide long lasting antimicrobial protection and health benefits, making them practical in any situation. They are truly your best option.
11 Benefits of Copper Compression Socks
Anti-Microbial: Copper ions are scientifically proven to rupture and penetrate the cell wall of bacteria, fungi and viruses. Once inside, the copper ions attack the DNA of the microbe, totally inactivating the microorganism. The copper ions will kill immediately upon contact and cause potentially harmful pathogenic microbes, including superbugs, to be destroyed.
- Anti-Fungal: Fungal infections of the skin are very common and include Athlete’s Foot, ringworm and yeast infections. Athlete’s Foot is caused by a microscopic fungus that lives on dead tissue such as the outer layers of skin or toenails, causing itching, burning, blisters, peeling and cracking of the feet. It commonly spreads through direct contact with infected skin and skin particles left on towels, shoes and socks, as well as contaminated surfaces in warm, moist environments such as swimming pools, locker rooms and floors of public showers.
- Anti-Bacterial: Bacterial infections occur typically when there has been some sort of trauma, commonly seen when an ingrown toenail punctures the skin around the nail. The most common bacterial culprit is Staphylococcus Aureus, which causes skin to become red, swollen and painful, and can even lead to a discharge of yellow or greenish pus.
- Anti-Viral: Viruses like the human papillomavirus and norovirus are highly contagious and can be spread through direct contact with contaminated surfaces. The HPV that triggers plantar warts thrives in warm and humid conditions like public shower rooms in fitness clubs and gyms, swimming pools, and bath mats, as well as shared socks and footwear.
- Anti-Odour: Bad odours are a very common problem associated with feet. The main cause is sweat, which itself is odourless. When combined with heat, however, it creates the ideal conditions for bacteria naturally residing on our skin to thrive and produce foul odour. Foul foot odour is also attributable to the frequency of wearing socks and shoes, closed toe shows, poor hygiene and foot infections. By killing odour-causing germs and keeping feet dry, copper helps to keep unpleasant smells under control. Even if you’ve been wearing the same item of clothing for hours on end, it’s essentially self-sterilizing and therefore can be washed less often.
- Anti-Inflammatory: Copper has been used throughout history to reduce inflammation, treat arthritis, Raynaud’s disease, joint pain and other inflammatory conditions. Copper infused products have been shown in studies to help ease skin inflammation and provide pain relief.
- Angiogenesis and Improved Blood Circulation: Copper has been shown to promote the formation of new blood vessels from pre-existing vessels . When combined with compression, it acts as an important tool for treating Raynaud’s disease, deep vein thrombosis (DVT), oedema, varicose veins, venous eczema, lipodermatosclerosis, and other problems caused by poor blood flow.
- Healthier, Firmer and Softer Skin: Copper plays an important role in the enzymatic processes that keep us healthy, which is why copper peptides are a key ingredient used in skincare, personal care and beauty products. Studies have shown that Copper promotes the production of collagen and elastin essential for healthier, firmer skin.
- Completely Durable: Copper ions are bonded to the fibres of the yarn on a molecular level, meaning they will not leach, and are machine washable. Wash tests highlight the fact that the benefits of copper will last the lifetime of the product. The durable construction of copper clothing and accessories also helps them handle heavy wear and tear.
- Copper Outperforms Silver: Silver, in any form, is a non-selective toxic biocide, making it poisonous to humans. It only exhibits anti-microbial activity in the presence of moisture and humidity. Copper is not poisonous, does not leach or pollute the environment and is anti-microbial even at room temperature.
- Moisture Management: Moisture wicking material is combined with copper ions, to ensure that your feet and legs remain cool and dry throughout the day and night. Keeping feet dry is especially important when you’re active, since sweat encourages bacterial growth.
- Enhanced Thermal Regulation: Copper ions infused into the fabric of copper compression socks enables them to minimise heat loss, thus relieving cold, numbness and foot pain in cooler temperatures.
- Performance: Light graduated compression helps to enhance circulation, stave off the build-up of lactic acid and improve recovery, preventing Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness (DOMS). Copper compression socks can help revive tired feet faster.
- 100% Natural – Copper infused compression socks are designed for comfort, warmth, support and padding, to make your skin softer, protect scratches and wounds from getting infected, and more. The best part of it! These miracle benefits come from an environmentally friendly, long lasting, all-natural and chemical-free material!
What’s in Your Sock Drawer?
Socks are now seen as a fashion statement, a way for people to express their personality, attract attention, showcase interests, views and even highlight status. They come in a wide range of sizes, colours, patterns, styles and fits, from colourful ankle socks to classic white chunky sports socks.
In fact, you probably have a favourite pair (or ten) to fit the situation at hand, from lucky socks when taking exams to comfortable flight socks when jetting off on holiday. The question of what your socks actually do for you very rarely enters the mind. That is, until you suffer a problem with your feet – a thought process that’s reactive instead of proactive.
Why is this not the first thing we think of when we open our sock drawer every morning? Which socks will equip me with the warmth, comfort and support to tackle the tasks in the days ahead? Do my regular socks or compression socks provide me with long lasting protection and support healthier, softer and odour-free feet?
Your regular cotton socks will do the bare minimum and provide warmth, whilst regular compression socks will provide support and enhance circulation. As we saw above, copper infused compression socks will do a lot more!
By making the conscious decision to wear copper compression socks, you are not only making a statement that you care about keeping your feet healthy and fresher for longer, but also protecting against embarrassing feet, foul odours and potential foot infections.
Should Copper Compression Socks Be My First Choice?
Think of copper compression socks as an upgrade for your daily footcare routine, not a replacement. They offer a simple, everyday way to harness the incredible benefits and power of copper.
Copper ions will only work whilst in direct contact with your skin – the longer they are worn the greater the effect – therefore it makes sense to wear copper socks all day, every day.
Despite the common belief that performance compression is only useful for athletes or the elderly, each of us can benefit from embracing the power of copper, making these socks perfect for everyone regardless of age, gender, ethnicity and location!
In Which Situations Should I Absolutely Use Copper Compression Socks?
There’s no doubt that you should make the shift to wearing copper compression socks all the time. Even if you aren’t quite ready for that kind of commitment, there are specific situations where they definitely should be your first choice.
Copper Infused Compression Socks Can Help:
The Sporty Ones:
Whether you’re playing light or heavy sports, injury and muscle strain are pretty common. Sweaty feet also lead to foul odours, caused by bacteria breaking down moisture from the sweat glands, while using public locker rooms raises the risk of bacterial or fungal infections such as Athlete’s Foot. A simple change of footwear can help.
Since copper compression socks improve circulation, they can help boost performance, speed up muscle recovery, and reduce aches and pains after a game. Thanks to copper’s antibacterial properties, these anti fatigue socks also help protect your feet and legs from infection, which is crucial even for children who use the school gym, pool or locker room.
The fact that copper also eliminates odours is a blessing, especially when you have a sweaty teenaged boy taking off his shoes the moment he comes home from a game!
Walking barefoot in public showers, pool areas and locker room floors not only raises the risk of Athlete’s Foot, but also plantar warts, ring worm and more. Athlete’s Foot can spread to other parts of the body such as the groin or armpits, if you touch other areas after scratching or touching infected feet.
Globe-Trotters, Explorers and Adventurers:
When you’re travelling often, the joy of seeing new places can be overshadowed by the hassles of standing in line, carting heavy luggage around an airport or sitting for hours in a cramped space. These situations may cause poor circulation, which can lead to foot strain, swollen ankles, blood clots and even DVT, the “stealth killer”.
Foot problems can be a pain when you’re out on vacation, a business trip, or trekking and hiking in extreme locales. Copper compression socks really are the must-have travel sock for every jet setter, business traveller, pilot, air hostess and even the adventurer exploring nature’s most beautiful sites. These socks will be your best companion through all your adventures, especially when you’re taking long flights or travelling with kids.
Since copper socks are self-sterilizing, they won’t cause foul odours in your luggage, and allow you to save room in your suitcase by packing fewer socks as well!
The first case of “Economy Class Syndrome” or venous thromboembolism after air travel was reported in 1946.You’re more likely to have tired feet and legs after standing in one spot than while walking, since the same muscles are used for a longer stretch.
Attention All Baby Boomers!
People are living longer than ever before and you’ll probably retire at a later age than your parents/grandparents did. While medical care has improved, diets and lifestyles are becoming unhealthier, which raises the risk of chronic illnesses and health problems. Even if you live healthy, your body starts slowing down after a certain age.
Maybe you’re troubled by cold feet and legs at night, swollen or aching feet and legs, or even arthritis or diabetic-related foot issues. As your feet become drier and harder, they become more prone to infection as well. Copper compression socks will help boost circulation, improve skin health, reduce inflammation and prevent foot-related problems.
You should be relaxing and enjoying retirement instead of worrying about foot problems, and copper compression socks can help keep you comfortable!
Each foot has 33 joints, which makes your feet particularly prone to arthritis and other issues caused by inflammation in joints.
Diabetes is difficult enough to deal with on its own, but it also makes you more vulnerable to foot infections, sores and slow-healing wounds, which can lead to lower leg amputations if left untreated. Even when you’re busy juggling lifestyle changes, medication, tailored diets and doctors’ visits, letting foot care take the backseat is highly dangerous mainly due to the impact of diabetic neuropathy in the lower limbs.
With so many concerns already on your plate, worrying about potential, existing or recurring foot problems adds extra stress and trouble to your daily life. Copper compression socks can be instrumental in alleviating the symptoms of diabetic foot related problems and protecting your feet, since they fight infections, enhance blood circulation and promote angiogenesis.
Paired with specialized footwear for diabetics, copper infused compression socks can be tremendously helpful at preventing and controlling the symptoms of diabetic foot ailments!
25% of people with diabetes will develop foot problems as a result of the disease, primarily because of poor circulation and diabetic neuropathy (nerve damage). There are over 7,000 diabetes-related amputations are performed in the UK every year, but over 80% of these can be avoided with proper foot care and timely treatment.
The Expecting Mothers:
When you’re pregnant, you have to deal with backaches and muscle strain from carrying around the extra weight, but your feet bear the largest burden. Varicose veins and spider veins also show up at this time due to poor circulation, along with aching feet, heels and joints, swelling in your legs and feet, and other issues.
Wearing the right socks can help to reduce swelling in your ankles, feet and legs, but copper infused compression socks make sense from a personal care point of view as well. You may not have the time or energy to moisturize and pamper your feet, while getting a pedicure poses its own safety hazards during your pregnancy.
Copper compression socks safely increase blood circulation and rejuvenate skin health, but they are also crucial for protecting your feet and legs when you visit the hospital for regular check-ups!
A pregnancy hormone known as relaxing can make you more prone to foot problems. 30% of women develop varicose veins during their first pregnancy.Your feet flatten out during pregnancy as a result of the extra weight they carry, and can get up to one size larger by the time you give birth to your baby.
Whether it’s the latest range of designer must haves or your local high street brands – every girl has a favourite pair of high heels. From making a bold and colourful fashion statement, through to walking the catwalk or even for casual catch up with friends, there’s no getting around a woman’s love for the elegance and power her high heel gives her.
But when fashion starts to compromise with foot function, a universal problem exists regardless of brand. Copper compression socks are the must-have accessory at your disposal in your handbags and at home. This simple solution can be used as an effective recovery tool, by providing support to your ankles and protection from blood circulation issues.
The copper infused fibres in these socks also ensure your feet and legs feel and look softer and healthier, allowing you to keep wearing your favourite high heels without embarrassment or pain!
High heels can cause muscle pain, irritated and inflamed feet, as well as raise the risk varicose veins.
The Masters of Multi-Tasking:
Being on your feet for hours at a time can be tough, especially when you’re pulling long shifts at work or even just running around for the kids. Aches, pains and poor circulation are a common headache whether you’re sitting in a cockpit of a plane, an office, or on your feet all day in a factory, restaurant or hospital.
In some workplaces, there’s even the added threat of germs from dirty floors or worse, diseases like trench foot for people working in the mines and the military. Pampering your feet is a necessity when they carry you around without complaint, but who has the time? Copper compression socks can ease your foot troubles and give them the care they need.
Copper infused compression provides foot care, boosts circulation, energizes tired feet and relieve aches when you’re sitting or standing too long. It also prevents smelly feet, so you don’t have to think twice about taking your shoes off under your desk!
The amount of total force faced by your feet during an average day of walking can be as high as that exerted by a fully-loaded cement truck.
The average person may take anywhere from 6,000 to 10,000 steps every day, enough to walk around the world 5 times during the average lifetime.
Recovering from Injury:
When you have a foot infection or wound, caring for it correctly is more than half the game. You don’t want minor problems becoming worse through neglect, or adding secondary infections and other issues into the mix while caring for a small scratch, wound or even recovering from foot surgery.
Small preventative changes can make a big difference here. Proper healing for feet and legs depends on being able to keep the affected area clean, dry and germ-free, which is where copper compression socks can help. They can counter or contain the symptoms of varicose veins, spider veins, dryness, itchy skin, fungal and bacterial infections, smelly feet, foot ulcers, inflammation, and other foot ailments.
Copper’s anti-microbial properties combined with improved circulation from graduated compression helps to prevent foot-related issues, treats existing symptoms, and makes your legs feel too!
The first symptoms of serious health conditions such as diabetes, arthritis, nerve diseases and circulation disorders may show up in your feet.
Very few people are born with foot problems or hereditary conditions that make them more likely. Poor foot care and ill-filling shoes are usually to blame instead.
Everyday Foot Care:
Do you find yourself trying to rub out aches and pains from your feet at the end of a long day? Most of us don’t have the time to look after our feet the way we should, especially when a packed schedule keeps us on our toes. Anti-fatigue compression socks infused with copper can boost your personal care with no extra effort on your part.
These socks will keep doing their job in the background while you focus on your daily routine, whether you’re driving the kids to a game, running around for meetings at work, doing chores at home, taking a nap, or doing anything else at all. Whether for improved skin health, personal care or pain relief, they will be your best friend throughout the day.This miracle copper sock design does it all, from fighting germs to keeping your skin soft. You can find your perfect copper fit here, and if copper socks haven’t already filled up your sock drawer, get started on your copper socks collection now!
Click the link below for an infographic which has more information about these revolutionary socks, their advantages and various applications.