How Effective are Compression Socks for Sciatica Pain?
March 10 2022
Are you struggling with sciatica? First of all, take the kudos for not only enduring the physical pain but also for your mental and emotional strength to fight it every day!!
When you see this post, you may wonder does compression socks really work for sciatica. The simple answer is yes! Compression socks work as a preventive measure. These socks can’t cure sciatica.
So what exactly is their role? And what does copper has to do with all this? Keep reading to get all the answers you need regarding the benefits of copper compression socks for sciatica pain.
Symptoms of Sciatica
You have already witnessed its annoying lower back pain if you have sciatica. But it’s vital to know its other symptoms as well to understand the role of compression socks in easing out its pain. These are the most common signs of sciatica:-
- Never-ending pain in the lower back.
- Escalation of pain from the hips down to one leg while sitting.
- Feeling of discomfort while standing.
- Ache around the buttocks.
- Moving the affected leg becomes difficult.
- Sometimes burning and tingling sensation down the leg.
- Weakness or numbness in feet, thigh, and legs.
Some sciatica symptoms may differ from patient to patient based on the compressed nerve location in the body.
Role of Compression Socks in Providing Relief From Sciatica Pain
Compression socks provide support and decrease discomfort in the legs with sciatica. They are also effective in other issues related to veins and muscle in the body. For instance, it’s common for physicians to suggest wearing compression socks for shin splints as they make everyday movements easy.
Compression socks make it painless to stand and walk for you, which is a significant concern for people with sciatica. So you can go to work and complete other daily tasks with the help of compression socks.
The numbness, weakness, tingling sensation, and other symptoms associated with sciatica are all relieved with the help of compression socks. They increase the blood circulation in the legs. The pain and swelling in the legs also decrease due to right pressure points touched by compression socks.
Compression socks are not only beneficial for issues like sciatica and shin splints. They are helpful if you have back pain, walk a lot, or have a long sitting job. Basically, compression socks work for people from all walks of life.
But should you buy any compression socks available in the market? Certainly not!
Which Compression Socks Manages Sciatica Pain Best?
Let’s explain in detail what copper has to do with compression socks. Copper-infused compression socks provide the comfort and warmth of compression socks along with the anti-microbial properties of copper. For instance, copper destroys these 6 disease-causing viruses:-
- Enterobacter aerogenes
- Vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecalis (VRE)
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa
- Methicillin-resistant staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)
- Staphylococcus aureus (Staph)
- Escherichia coli O157: H7 (E. coli)
Apart from this, here are some exclusive benefits of impregnating copper ions into the yarn of compression socks:-
- The enhanced blood circulation due to copper compression socks prevents lactic acid build-up. They also give quick relief to tired feet.
- Copper socks reduce the inflammation in your feet, providing relief from nerve and muscle pain.
- Copper compression socks kill the foul odour from your feet by eliminating the bacteria and keeping the feet dry.
- The copper ions reduce the heat loss from your feet, preventing you from numbness and pain in your feet during cold weather.
- Compression socks improve your blood circulation, which proves to be helpful in dealing with diseases like DVT, varicose veins, oedema, etc.
- They kill bacteria, viruses, and fungi due to their anti-microbial properties preventing conditions like ringworm, yeast infection, and athlete’s foot.
- Copper compression socks keep your feet dry and cool by keeping the sweat in check. It helps a lot if you live an active lifestyle.
- Copper improves collagen production in the skin, making the skin of your feet firmer, softer, and healthier.
- Copper compression socks are durable. They are machine washable, and they can easily handle heavy wear and tear.
- The best part is all these benefits of copper are acquired naturally through its natural properties only.
Check out the ultimate guide to copper compression socks to learn why copper compression socks are great for managing sciatica and similar painful conditions.ultimate guide to copper compression socks
Level of Compression Socks
There are different levels of compression socks ideal for preventing different types of ailments. For vein issues, 20-30 mmHg graduate compression socks work well. The level of compression goes higher with severity of pain and inflammation. Check out the following table for clarity.
Level of Support
Medical Grade 1
8 to 15 mmHg
Medical Grade 2
30 to 40 mmHg
Medical Grade 3
40 to 50 mmHg
This post doesn’t intend to present compression socks as one of the treatments for sciatica. However, they effectively provide relief from its symptoms to enable you to do day-to-day work, including your housework and job.
At the same time, experts recommend visiting your doctor or a spine specialist whenever you witness sciatica symptoms. Moreover, if your pain is severe and symptoms are intense, you should seek medical help at the earliest.